Saturday, March 1, 2008

Day One - Bird of the Chi

So, new blog for my new idea to take a photo every day of the month of March. Photos will be linked to my photography site due to their size so just click on the link at the bottom of each post to view the photo.

I figure it will be good practice and plus, I want to get into the habit of carrying my camera around with me everywhere I go. I can't tell you how many times I've been riding along on my scooter and seen a great shot and lo, no camera. So not only do I want to get used to having my camera with me, I want to get used to using it as well.

Practice makes better.

So, today I took photos of my Meyers parrot, Chidiya, otherwise known as ChiBird, and of my husband. I didn't like any of the photos of my husband right off the bat, so ChiBird's photos got the "lookover", what I call when I pull up photos that I have already glanced at generally and decided if I want to look further. Then I sink into each one to decide if I think it's a good photo or not. This doesn't necessarily mean technically, it could be a bad photo technically but if it conveys something or I find unique, I'll choose it.

ChiBird actually doesn't like me all that much. She prefers my husband even though at one point, she was my bird and liked me just fine. Parrots are fickle creatures. Despite this, she seemed a willing model and appeared fascinated by the camera, stretching her neck out and sticking her beak into the lens (fortunately covered by a UV filter). It was fairly low light and I was shooting without a flash (always my preference if possible), so of course, when she moved, the shots were all blurry. Although at least one of these had some interesting qualities but not enough to choose as my Day One photo.

I ended up choosing this photo over a couple that showed off her lovely green feathers because of the unique framing of her face and eye.

No comments: